Oliver Model 232 Tablesaw Restoration.
· Repair ·
This tablesaw was originally owned by Sangamon State
University. Since, the school has been renamed University of Illinois @
Springfield. The saw has changed hands in Springfield,
Illinois, home of Abe Lincoln, several times.
In February 2005, I purchased this saw from a cabinet
builder in Springfield, IL named Quinto Cimarossa. He had
purchased the saw but never used it and stored it in
his son's metal shed on a farm west of Springfield.
Since my purchase of this saw, I have been looking for the fence-side extension. In April,
Pleasant's Machinery, a dealer out of DeKalb,
Illinois put one on ebay with an opening price of $150. I waited patiently until
near the end of the auction to place my bid. Just three hours
before the end, no one had placed a bid. I called Pleasant's
with some questions about the extension and decided that I
would bid on it. Later that morning I
attempted to dial in and place my bid. The pc blew up and I
had to reboot. Of course the boot up was
extremely slow. I finally got dialed in, although only at 33.6
bps, and brought up ebay. I signed in and went to the auction
only to find that it had just ended. A sole bidder won the
auction at the opening price! Aarg!
Hurray! I received a call from a firefighter / machinery restorer / machinery
dealer in Golden, CO. He had read my entry here and happened
to have an extension for the saw for sale. I purchased it from
him and another part for the 91-D mortiser.
received the extension but it was not the extension I had been
wanting from the auction. This extension was the U shaped far
right extension. So if anyone knows of a right side extension
with the graduated scale on it, please let me know. I don't
even care if it is not for sale. I could use some
measurements... and will probably make an offer anyway, you
I was lucky enough to borrow a friend's tandem trailer for
hauling this machine. Even better was the Bobcat with forks
that I was able to load it with at the farm. When home, I
rolled it right off the trailer and into the garage.
No repair needed, everything is in working order!
After good news on the extension I couldn't stand it anymore, so, I
cleaned up the top of the saw. I used several methods. First I
sanded the rust with 220 on the orbital sander. Then I used
naval jelly. Next I broke out the 3M conditioning pads on the
angle grinder. Where there were stains, I introduced some
grinding compound. This help in some cases and not in others.
Now the saw is looking better, but is back against the wall
with a coat of Slip-ease on the table to keep it free of rust
and other staining until I can get help in removing the table
and continuing the restoration of the inner workings.
September 19, 2005
Well I have regained enough use of my right hand to start back
to work. This weekend, I had a friend help remove the top.
Watch out for the alignment pins that hold the top in place.
Once off, we turned it upside down and I finished the bottom with
some green paint. Ain't she 'purdy'?
nameplate is in good shape, a little primer and some paint and
it'll be good as new. Wait until you see the new color!
Here is a couple pictures of the hand operated motor braking mechanism.
Belowis the brake assembly for the saw. It is a simple design, I
hope it works well when reassembled.
Here is the blade cover/door ready for paint.
I am taking the motor out tonight and will have it tested, poked
and prodded tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the rest of the
machine cleaned up and painted by this weekend. Of course I
have said that before.
September 23, 2005
I got a little side-tracked, it happens. I did well at a state
surplus auction which took up an entire day of my time. But I
did get the motor out, cleaned up and tested. I even removed
the paint and added a new coat to match. This is about it for
the parts I am willing to remove. I would need a hoist to
remove the rest. I need to get the hand wheels off this thing
and clean it up everywhere I can. Then, the final painting
lubricating and reassembly.
September 29, 2005
Well, I did get more off the machine apart. I have cleaned up everything
except the base and the tilting mechanism. I hope to have all
parts cleaned, primed and painted this weekend. We'll see how
it goes. This rainy fall is killing me.
The base is almost clean. I went to the junkyard today to find
some angle iron suitable for the mobile base, but nothing good
enough was available... or at least not still attached to a
farm implement or something else big. Looks like I'll be
purchasing new and expensive steel. Ouch.
October 6, 2005
I visited another metal recycler yesterday and found a 10'
piece of 2 1/2" angle with 1/4" thickness. It weighed in
at 39 lbs., but the guys said just take it. So I have my steel
for the base.
October 12, 2005
Thanks to a neighbor and his metal cutting bandsaw, the frame
for the mobile base is cut.
Also, the base of the saw is painted!
I have got a project to finish up, then I will returnconcentration to the mobile base.
November 13, 2005
The saw is complete. My neighbor welded up the mobile base for
me last week. I cleaned it up, painted it and attached the
castors. The saw went back together much quicker than disassembly.
I am now acquiring plans and talking with several people about
building a rotary phase converter. It would be great to turn
this machine on!
Thanks to the members of the www.owwm.com
forum for their expert and often humorous advice.